Commissioner & Crew

Duties & Programs

Ordinances & Codes

Recycling Program

Mission Statement


Contact Us

About our Wind Turbine

Our Service Area



Where is the Highway Department located?

The Highway Department is located at 220 Butterfield Road, North Aurora, Illinois.

I’m building a deck, shed, garage, home addition, fence, driveway roof, etc. Do I need a permit?

In most cases, yes. Contact the Highway Department (630-892-0246) for more information before you start your project.

I went to the County for a permit for the work I’m doing on my private property and they said I need a permit and bond from the Township. Why?

The Township issues permits and bonds to protect the right of way during the construction phase of your project. If there is no damage to the parkway during the construction or the damage is repaired, the bond posted is returned in full at the completion of the project.

I am interested in having a block party in an unincorporated area of Aurora Township. Can I just have the party or do I need a permit?

The Highway Department issues permits for block parties in the unincorporated areas of Aurora Township.  There is an application process that must be completed before a permit is issued.  The block party application can be viewed and printed from here. Once the block party application is completed, the Highway Department will issue a permit if the permit conditions are met and deemed acceptable.

There is a tree down across my street, blocking traffic. Who do I call?

Call the Highway Department (630-892-0246) and we will have someone come out and remove it as soon as possible. If it is after regular business hours and is an emergency, contact the Kane County Sheriff Department (630-232-6840) and they will notify the Highway Department.

My street was plowed and salted, but they missed the area in front of my house. Why?

In many cases, a car was parked in the street during the plowing operations. To avoid this situation, please make sure all cars are removed from the street and put into your driveway during plowing operations.

I live in unincorporated Aurora Township, but you never plow or maintain my street. Why?

It is likely that your street has been annexed into a City or Village. When a City or Village annexes a piece of property across the street from your property, they also annex the street and the right of way in front of your house.

I came home and there were different colors of paint marked on the parkway in front of my home. Why?

In most cases, this is J.U.L.I.E. The utility companies in your area are locating underground utilities for a project.

My driveway apron has sunk and needs repair. Will the Township repair it?

No, driveways are the responsibility of the homeowner.

The ditch or parkway in front of my home is always wet, and it hasn’t rained for a while. What could be causing this?

There are several possible reasons for this situation. The most common reason is that there is a sump pump discharging water into the ditch. The Township does have an ordinance that prohibits discharging sump pump water into ditches.

The second most common reason might be a water main leak. If you think that this might be the cause, contact the Water Department that services your area.

I have a water problem in my back yard. Will the Township come out and repair it?

No, the Township can only work on the accepted right of way in front of your home. Try contacting the Water Resources Department at Kane County and see if there is something that they can do to help.

What does "right of way" mean?

This is the area in front of your home that is owned by the public and accepted and maintained by the Township.

I’m taking a tree down on my private property. Will the Highway Department come by and haul away the branches and logs?

No, all work done on private property must be completed and paid for by the homeowner.

What does the Highway Department do with the wood chips from the tree they took down in my neighborhood?

We recycle them back to the homeowners. Contact the Highway Department for more information and availability.

My neighbor has dumped a lot of debris, brush, trash, etc. in the parkway area. Can the Highway Department help ?

Yes, the Highway Department has an Ordinance Enforcement Officer who can come out and visit the site and enforce any ordinance violations.